Girlchan in Paradise Ep2 Girlchan in Paradise Ep2

Huh! An artist.

Glad I waited before reviewing this, because it's turned out to be one of the few Flashes I've seen here that gets even better on repeat viewing. Particularly love the main character's voice, just a brilliant parody of the typical American voice dub.

I was tempted to give it a 9 just so you wouldn't think you'd mastered this genre of parody and quit, but after seeing it again, I've just got to risk the full score and hope you'll do more of these anyway.

[Frontier Psychiatrist] [Frontier Psychiatrist]

Amusing interpretation of a good nutty song

Many elements of this are brilliant, I was particularly fond of the Valkyrie chorus. I like the way you synced animations to the scratching, that was very effective.

I think it could benefit from having an overall story (like the first official video by the Avalanches) or theme (like their second video version) tying together the separate elements, and keeping the viewer interested through some of the repeated parts.

Still, the animation was amusing enough and the song good enough to keep me watching this one all the way through.

Muffins: a film noir Muffins: a film noir

Smooth

Ah that is a nice soundtrack. I wasn't all that into the art/animation until the dudes with the box (?!) heads showed up: nice drawing on them, and I like the stylized b&w effects you got in parts of that brief fight scene, like when the hero goes all silhouette on us.

urban-wolf100 responds:

Thanks smbhax
i designed them to be like an abstract gang with robot masks.
i was thinking of doing a sequel to this, wht do you guys think?
thanks

FUCK! a Comic Collection FUCK! a Comic Collection

Let's see I'm writing a title-- [bang] F***!

Ah, the casual way in which those overseas sling around the F-bomb; it's so charming compared to how we Americans do it.

I think the interface, layout, and music work well here. I found it easy to get into and easy to read.

Although I enjoyed the twists on the same two-panel plot more in the later strips (particularly the "yellow western frog" one and the suicide one--ah such dark humor there), I noticed that your lines are a lot more flowing in your earlier, pencil work. They also came out cleaner in the character or two that you drew in Flash for the interface. That's not to say that art drawn in Gimp is illegible, but the lines are rougher and the coloring tends to have distracting stray pixels here and there; it seems to me that it might be worth considering drawing future episodes either freehand, and scanning them in, or using Flash, which will smooth out your lines. Another thing you could do would be to draw them at exactly double size, then scale them down; assuming Gimp has a decent scaling function, doing that will smooth them out--it's what I do for my own bitmap work in Photoshop. That Wacom should definitely help, though!

The character is simple and easy to read, and stands out well in his yellow color. He's also somehow endearing; I suppose he's the Everyman who always gets the shaft, and that's easy to sympathize with. It's a good theme, however, that doesn't mean that every joke using it is a winner, and many of the strips shown here don't really bring anything new to the table, and feel repetitive. However, seeing as how the two I liked most seem to be your most recent ones, I'd say you're definitely on the right track with the humor. It's actually not that often that I find a comic that gives me a little chuckle, so thanks for at least two of them!

HolyKonni responds:

Thanks alot for your review. Well, drawing with flash without a mouse is pretty frustrating, but when I get that table I'm going to do all art in flash, probably. You know, I actually did draw them first so they would fit on a A4 paper, and then scaled them down. Anyway, I'm glad you liked this, and thanks a bundle for reviewing.

Remove Police Remove Police

Oddly hypnotic

I don't even have much of a problem with police, but there's just something about this song that's so nice to listen to--great rhythm, and the voices fit perfectly.

Great Idea Great Idea

Light!

You got an impressive feeling of light through colored glass with those colored pencils; very well done on the colors and tones. The lines could use some work: the left eye is a bit off, and the hand as mentioned below; lines across the torso are also a little plain and don't really feel like they're representative of clothing over a chest. The general pose, however, really is reminiscent of a stained-glass window, good work there.

Alex Seryoua Comic Panel. Alex Seryoua Comic Panel.

Me too

This inspired me to check out the Flash. Wild stuff, Tofu-man. Welcome to the Art Portal.

Boss Battle Boss Battle

Mm

Bold yet disciplined; I dig.

Welcome to the Art Portal. :)

reavenhart responds: